A pair of updates have gone live for Final FantasyXV, updates 1.06 and 1.07, and these updates should now be available to everyone. Whether or not you purchased the season pass entitling you to Episode Gladiolus, which comes out tomorrow, this new update has made changes to the divisive events which play out in Chapter 13 of the original story, and now you can play through that part of the game as Gladiolus himself. That part of the story is now called Chapter 13, verse 2.
Square Enix released a nifty little hype trailer for the new update. Check it out here:
So in addition to various bug fixes, the new update added a bunch of new content and some new features:
- Addition of Chapter 13, Verse 2 (alternate route featuring Gladiolus)
- Enhancement of Arcana spells (Alterna, Holy, Death)
- Announcement of winning snapshots from first photo contest (viewable at Takka’s Pit Stop in Hammerhead)
- Temporary conclusion of Timed Quests (will resume at a later date)
- Addition of two pieces from “Episode Gladiolus” downloadable content to music player tracklist
- Addition of compatibility with “Episode Gladiolus” downloadable content
- Various gameplay enhancements
- Various bug fixes
- Updated saves will not work on former versions of the game
"Square Enix also released a free game update that adds cutscenes that enhance the Chapter 13 story experience, two different playable Chapter 13 routes for players to choose from, and more powerful ring magic, and opens up additional areas to explore in the game."
All of this comes just one day before the release of Episode Gladiolus, Final Fantasy XV's first character-focused story DLC. Episode Gladiolus features:
- Uncover the story told through Gladiolus’ perspective – While Final Fantasy XV focuses on the bond between Noctis and his friends, Episode Gladiolus allows players to find out what happened when Gladiolus leaves the party..
- New exhilarating action battle that matches Gladiolus’s character as the King’s Shield – While the main game’s system was designed around Noctis and his mobility to warp and dodge enemy attacks, Gladiolus fights by blocking and counterattacking with the new “Valor” and “Rage” system.
- New environment – Players can access a new area that was previously not accessible in the main game.
- Obtain special items that can be carried over to the main game – By completing the episode, players can obtain special items that cannot be acquired from the main game.
- New gameplay modes – In addition to the main episode, two additional gameplay modes, “Score Attack” and “Final Trial” are available upon completing the episode. These modes offer an added challenge and high replay value for the player.
Episode Gladilous is included in the Final Fantasy XV season pass, but can also be purchased a la carte for $5 from the PlayStation Store or Xbox Live Games Store.