Watch live video from WWG on www.twitch.tv
Today on The Checkpoint, the daily esports show on http://twitch.tv/wwg that airs each weekday at 2:00 pm ET/11:00 am PT:
- ESL has announced they are hiring David Hill, former Fox TV and DirecTV executive formerly connected to the old Championship Gaming Series. Hill brings with him years of traditional media experience but a mixed record in esports given the history of CGS and it's poor reception from the esports community at the time.
- Echo Fox recently made moves in the Fighting Game world when they acquired a good portion of the former Evil Geniuses FGC roster among other key signings. However, ESPN reported that former San Jose Sharks co-owner Stratton Sclavos has invested in the team which may explain their ability to suddenly sign so many top names in the scene.
Sclavos himself said: "I knew Jace Hall from way back when and Amit's obviously been a very successful businessman himself. I thought, 'why not put my lot in with these guys and try to make something in this new market, which has a lot of similarities to what I did in tech and what a lot of similarities to what I did in pro hockey?'"
- Azubu was deallt yet another blow when popular Korean League of Legends squad SK Telecom T1 recently left the service and started streaming on Twitch. It's not yet known if this switch will be permanent, though, according to Twitch employee Susie Kim:
Happy to see that Bang and Blank changed their Twitch IDs to something a bit easier to remember than before ;)— Susie Kim (@lilsusie) February 1, 2017
- Electronic Arts continues to get heavily involved in esports as they announced the FIFA 17 Ultimate Team Championship Series with $1.3 million dollars on the line for the tournament prize pool worldwide. Two seasons will play out over the next three and a half months culminating in a championship in Berlin, Germany on May 20th, 2017.
EA has made it evident that they will continue to heavily support their competitive communities and many major soccer clubs have gotten involved as well. It will be interesting to see where viewership ends up for their events.
- Lunatic-Hai's Overwatch team has suspended two members, Geum "Dean" Dong-geun and Lee "Leetaejun" Tae-jun were suspended for flirting with female fans on Twitter and Kakaotalk in one of the more concrete examples of how esports culture differs in Korea versus Western countries.
During the interview, Dustin Mouret, CS:GO Analyst and Commentator, joined to talk about some teams that stood out at the ELEAGUE Major over the weekend and what sort of in depth analysis commentary is needed in the scene.