Today on The Checkpoint, the daily esports show on http://twitch.tv/wwg that airs each weekday at 2:00 pm ET/11:00 am PT:
- Unicorns of Love continues to roll in the League of Legends EU LCS as they took down Splyce 2-1 in a close set that proves that Group B continues to show it's overall strength. In Group A, Misfits rolled over Fnatic 2-0 securely locking themselves in as the #2 team in the group. Fnatic has had several issues and up and down games to start the season, so it remains to be seen if this new roster will gel together soon.
- Yesterday, the stage was set for some interesting shenanigans and tie breakers in the StarLadder i-League StarSeries Season 3 America Qualifier, with Digital Chaos finishing their round robin portion at 17 points and Team NP with 16 points and only one match to go.
compLexity Gaming could play the role of spoiler. If coL beat NP, DC would get the spot into the finals. If NP beat coL, NP would get the spot. And in the most interesting of all, if NP and coL tied, DC and NP would have to play a tiebreaker best of 3. And guess what? coL and NP tied, the tiebreaker between NP and DC is being played today.
- The ESL Hearthstone Trinity Series finished up week 3 action as Virtus.pro defeated Team Liquid 6-2 in pretty quick fashion. compLexity and Luminosity Gaming faced off in a match of the only undefeated teams in the event, and the series definitely delivered as coL narrowly edged out Luminosity in a super close 6-5 set.
- Geoff "Incontrol" Robinson posted a video on his YouTube channel alleging that Cloud9 and it's owner, Jack Etienne, strong armed Twitch into not allowing EG to pick up a CS:GO squad or teams would boycott the streaming service. This of course illuminated the issues the community raised around conflicts of interest when Twitch initially announced it was signing a revenue deal with TSM and C9.
- FIFA 17 will be broadcast on ESPN, the main channel, in a first for esports....... up against the Super Bowl with a tape delayed broadcast. The FIFA Ultimate Team Championship Series has its first regional finals this weekend in Paris. Games will be played live on ESPN 3 and ESPN Deportes with a one hour feature on tape delay Sunday against the Super Bowl.
- Echo Fox is not going to compete in the ESL Pro League this season as they were unable to field a team in time. A decider match was played between Splyce and Selfless to take their spot, with Selfless winning the decider.
Later, Kevin Hitt joined the show to talk about the new French CS:GO super team and the EG CS:GO drama! Catch that interview here: