The Russian Football Club, FC Anzhi Makhachkala known as FC Anji for short, has made its move into esports with the signing of a legend in the Dota 2 scene, Alexander “XBOCT” Dashkevich.
Winner of the 2011 The International event, XBOCT is a well-known and skilled professional player, having placed second at the game's most prestigious event two times in a row after winning it. The 26-year-old was a member of Natus Vincere from 2010 to 2015 during the peak of his career but Na'Vi elected to release its roster in October of 2015, leaving the player teamless. The player did not compete at all throughout 2016 and will be making his return under the banner of this new endeavor.
The Ukrainian player will be joined by four other players who have yet to be revealed. The team will miss out on the Kiev Dota 2 Major open qualifiers from March 6-9 due to an incomplete roster.
FC Anji joined fellow Russian football club FC Volga in esports. The latter picked up a FIFA player in 2016.
If you speak Russian, you can check out the video below for statements from the president of Anji, Osman Kadiev.
Question and answers with the owner of FC Anji, Kadiev and XBOCT can be found translated by google below.
- Kiberfutbolist is already in every Premier League club. "Anji" went ahead and signed the contract with the player in Dota 2. Why did you decide to pay attention to this trend?
- ESports growing exponentially. A very large audience of football fans have not yet covered, and kiberfutbol develop is not the best in Russia. We wanted to go a little further, we decided to create a team in Dota 2. This is a very popular game in Europe and the CIS.
- Many wonder why eSports need football clubs.
- Young people are interested. "Anji" to go with the times and develop together with the younger generation. In addition, we raise the brand of the football club.
- What is the challenge facing "Anji Dota2" team?
- Adequately represent our club, and Russia on the international eSports scene.
Alexander, you spoke of the many cyber command, but why now you chose FC "Anji"?
- After a long break in the professional DotA FC "Anji" awakened in me the desire to play again, we were able to very quickly find a common language and cooperate well, this is exactly what you need for a comfortable game.
- What are the challenges in front of you puts the "Anji"?
- First of all I need to dial-up than I am doing at the moment, apart from that, I once again began to actively play, interested in professional stage and improve their skills in the game.
- When I started playing, could you imagine that everything will be so in the future?
- At the beginning of my way, all that was in my head, to play more, to achieve something, to become better, to surpass all, gradually it came to pass. I am happy that now people are showing such an interest in e-sports, and I'm part of this.
- Welcome to "Anji", Alexander!
The names of the other members of the team will be announced soon, but for now, we will see Alexander play at the nearest open qualifications to the Kiev Major as stendina in the team (mix) "BMF".