Today on The Checkpoint, the daily esports show on twitch.tv/wwg that airs each weekday at 2:00 pm ET/11:00 am PT:
- The League of Legends LCK went mostly as expected, as SK Telecom T1 defeated the afreeca Freecs 2-1, while MVP went 2-0 against Kongdoo Monster putting them in 4th place in the LCK. As 3rd place Samsung Galaxy has to come up against KT Rolster tonight, there's a good chance that MVP could be tied for 3rd soon enough.
- It was a long night in the Overwatch Carbon Series as three full Best-of-5 sets were played out. Luminosity Gaming Evil started the night by narrowly taking out their sister team Luminosity Gaming Loyal 3-2. Team Liquid then salvaged another series win, this time against compLexity 3-0. Renegades, meanwhile, defeated the Immortals 3-0, despite Mangachu, the primary DPS player for Renegades, getting run over by GrimReality on Immortals.
- The ESL Pro League CS:GO event was supposed to have several matches in both the EU and NA regions yesterday, but were delayed due to problems with the ESEA service.
- The PGL Major has been announced as the next CS:GO Major and will be taking place in Krakow, Poland from July 21st-23rd. This of course only puts it one week separation from the ESL Cologne event taking place just before the Major. Teams have already speculated that they would skip the Cologne event to attend the major.
- Orisa, the next Overwatch hero, has been given a release date of March 21st. Orisa is a versatile tank with a relatively small health pool for tanks that relies on various long range attacks, shields, and boosts to help the team.
- Madden NFL 17 will be taking center stage at thE Arena in Las Vegas, a 500 seat auditorium dedicated to esports events, with $10,000 tournaments on both PS4 and Xbox One. Winners of the event will be awarded spots in the main Madden Championship Series.
Joe Bartel of RotoWire joined the show to discuss all things Call of Duty. Specifically, how healthy is the game and scene with continued investment conflicting with many players' desire to return to a different style of movement in game.