Today on The Checkpoint, the daily esports show on twitch.tv/wwg that airs each weekday at 2:00 pm ET/11:00 am PT:
- The League of Legends NA LCS is coming down to the wire and the playoff picture is starting to firm up. On Friday, Team Dignitas beat Team Liquid 2-0 while Counter Logic Gaming defeated Echo Fox 2-0 as well.
Saturday, Immortals beat Cloud9 2-1 in what represents the best win in an incredibly inconsistent season and keeps them within striking distance of the playoffs. Dignitas finished off a perfect weekend by taking out Team EnVyUs 2-1, Team SoloMid defeated a struggling FlyQuest 2-1, and a surging Phoenix1 beat a demoralized Liquid 2-0.
On Sunday, TSM beat Echo Fox 2-0, Phoenix1 defeated the Immortals 2-0, CLG somehow, someway beat FlyQuest 2-0 despite the latter being up considerably in the second game of their series, and finally Cloud9 defeated EnVyUs 2-1.
- The EU LCS race to avoid relegation in Group A heated up as ROCCAT defeated GIANTS! Gaming in the heads up match between the two 2-0 actually causing ROCCAT to pass GIANTS! in the standings. Unicorns of Love also defeated H2k-Gaming to secure their lock on the top spot in Group B, G2 Esports took out Misfits 2-1 to remain undefeated on the season, and Splyce beat Origen 2-0 to round out the day.
- The LCK got a little weird as MVP took out the Jin Air Green Wings 2-1, including a Ziggs/Elise bot lane combo in game 3 to close out the set. SK Telecom T1 beat the bbq OLIVERS 2-0, Samsung Galaxy defeated Kongdoo Monster 2-0, and ROX Tigers took out the afreeca Freecs to somehow keep their playoff hopes alive this split.
- OpTic Gaming took home the 1st place prize at CWL Dallas over the weekend in another thrilling finals set with eUnited. After going up 2-0 in the Grand Finals, OpTic lost 3 straight rounds to eUnited to force a bracket reset. Once again, OpTic went up 2-0, eUnited tied it back up and forced a deciding 10th and final game of the Grand Finals. OpTic came out firing and easily won the last map to take home the crown.
- The ESL Hearthstone Trinity Series finished up over the weekend with compLexity Gaming taking the win over Luminosity Gaming in the finals, 6-4. compLexity actually lost to Luminosity in the Upper Bracket Finals, but then prevailed over Virtus.pro 6-5 in a super narrow set in the Lower Bracket Finals before coming back against Luminosity in the Grand Finals.
- MTV India is going to be broadcasting the new UCypher esports league in India run by Ronnie Screwvala who comes from both the entertainment and traditional sports world.
James Bates joins us again to break down the much clearer NA LCS playoff picture after this past weekend's games.