Today on The Checkpoint, the daily esports show on twitch.tv/wwg that airs each weekday at 2:00 pm ET/11:00 am PT:
- The ELEAGUE Street Fighter V Invitational groups have finished up, and in Group D Team Liquid's NuckleDu took 1st with a 6-1 record and will be advancing directly to the group's semifinals along with 2nd place Phenom. Luffy, Xiao Hai, Chris Tatarian, and Ryan Hart made the group's quarterfinals while LPN and LI Joe were eliminated from the event.
- In the CS:GO ESL Pro League, week 6 finished up with much needed wins for some teams in the playoff hunt. On the EU side, No. 9 Team EnVyUs in the WWG CS:GO Team Rankings beat No. 2 Virtus.pro 2-0, No. 15 HellRaisers tied No. 6 North 1-1, No. 8 Fnatic split their set against No. 5 FaZe Clan 1-1, and No. 14 G2 Esports defeated No. 22 LDLC 2-0.
On the NA side, Renegades got a great map win against No. 4 SK Gaming but ultimately tied the set 1-1, No. 7 OpTic Gaming defeated Misfits 2-0, NRG Esports took out Luminosity Gaming 2-0, and No. 17 Cloud9 split their set against Counter Logic Gaming 1-1.
- On the League of Legends side of things, the EU LCS is coming to a close but not without a few send-off fiestas first. Unicorns of Love defeated Splyce 2-1 to keep a strong hold on 1st place in Group B, while G2 Esports barely beat Fnatic 2-1 to keep their undefeated season alive.
- Mad Catz has declared bankruptcy and their officers have all resigned from the company, according to a Reuters brief. The company had recently been delisted from the New York Stock Exchange after a sustained period of declining revenue and increasing losses.
- ELEAGUE was nominated for a Sports Emmy for Outstanding Studio Design/Art Direction. Turner's efforts have been some of the first for esports on TV in a number of years, and the work is already being recognized by industry committees.
- Blizzard has opened their new eStadium in Taipei, an auditorium capable of hosting a couple hundred spectators for dedicated esports viewing opportunities. This could certainly reduce the risk for investors of the Overwatch League if Blizzard plans to build these out across the world.
Wyatt Lyles of Rotowire joins the show to talk about the NA LCS Summer Promotion tournament along with the upcoming EU and NA LCS Spring Split playoffs.