Today on The Checkpoint, the daily esports show on twitch.tv/wwg that airs each weekday at 2:00 pm ET/11:00 am PT:
- There are only two more matches in the Dota 2 Asia Championship, as OG awaits the winner of the loser's bracket finals between Invictus Gaming and Newbee. OG has been dominating the event so far, only dropping two maps en route to the finals.
Team Empire's Cinderella story quickly came to an end in the playoffs as iG took them out 2-1 and then sister organization iG.Vitality defeated Empire 2-1 in the loser's bracket.
Newbee has recovered nicely after the loss to OG in the winner's bracket, with a 2-1 win over Evil Geniuses and a 2-0 sweep of iG.Vitality to advance to tomorrow's loser's bracket finals. Over $230,000 is up for grabs for the winner of tomorrow's Dota 2 finals.
- The League of Legends EU LCS finished up over the weekend, and H2k-Gaming cemented a winless season for Origen by taking them out 2-0. In other games, Misfits defeated GIANTS! Gaming 2-0, the Unicorns of Love took out Vitality 2-0, ROCCAT defeated G2 Esports in the latter's first loss of season, H2k-Gaming defeated Splyce, and Fnatic barely squeaked into the playoffs by winning over Misfits 2-1.
In a crazy turn around of fortunes, ROCCAT ended the season with six straight series wins including the aforementioned win over G2, but ended up just short when Fnatic was able to win their last series of the year. ROCCAT stays in the LCS though for the next split.
- During the NA LCS summer promotion tournament, Team Liquid and Team EnVyUs requalified for the LCS. Liquid suffered an initial game 1 loss to eUnited, but came back to win 3-1 in the semifinals. Gold Coin United handily defeated EnVyUs in the opening round 3-1 as well.
In the upper advancement match, Team Liquid squeaked by GCU 3-2 to requalify. EnVyUs knocked out eUnited 3-1 in the lower bracket elimination match.
The finals featured a rematch between EnVyUs and GCU with EnVyUs getting the upper hand this time to requalify for the LCS 3-2. Both GCU and eUnited will have to fight through the Challenger Series again.
- The LCK playoffs are locked in as MVP will first take on the afreeca Freecs, the winner plays KT Rolster, the winner of that plays Samsung Galaxy, and finally the winner of that match earns a spot in the finals against SK Telecom T1.
It will be quite the slog for any team to come through the initial Wildcard match.
- No. 17 Cloud9 on the WWG CS:GO Team Rankings won the iBUYPOWER Invitational Spring 2017 tournament this weekend by taking out Selfless 2-0, Luminosity 2-1, and No. 12 OpTic Gaming 2-0 to win the event.
- OpTic Gaming won the rare distinction of winning an esports event in three different games over three consecutive weekends, with the Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare team taking CWL Dallas, the Halo 5 squad winning the Halo World Championship, and the Gears of War team winning the $200,000 Atlantic City event over the weekend.
James "Dreamweaver" Bates joins the show to talk about the NA LCS Summer Promotion tournament in detail, including a couple of playoff predictions, and some last second math on which teams can make playoff runs in the LPL.