Today on The Checkpoint, the daily esports show on twitch.tv/wwg that airs each weekday at 2:00 pm ET/11:00 am PT:
- No. 5 FaZe Clan in the WWG CS:GO Team Rankings finally took down a big tournament over the weekend by winning the StarLadder i-League StarSeries Season 3 Finals over No. 1 Astralis to claim $125,000 and their first win as a new squad. This marks a rematch of the IEM Katowice finals which took place recently.
No. 13 HellRaisers kept their hot streak going by making it all the way to the semifinals of the event, beating No. 6 North 2-1 in the quarterfinals. No. 9 G2 Esports took a big step up by advancing from groups undefeated before narrowly losing to FaZe in the opening round of the playoffs 2-1.
No. 3 Virtus.pro and No. 4 SK Gaming both had very disappointing performances as each team fell out of the group stages.
- League of Legends playoff action is in the air, and the NA LCS delivered on opening round surprises. Phoenix1 clobbered Dignitas 3-0 on the back of stellar play by their support, Stunt. FlyQuest Esports kept their dreams alive by taking out Counter Logic Gaming in a super narrow 3-2 set.
FlyQuest moves on to play TSM in the semifinals this weekend, while Phoenix1 will now take on Cloud9
- On the EU side of things, Misfits completed a reverse sweep comeback against Splyce by taking the set 3-2. Fnatic, though, crushed through H2k-Gaming in a huge upset 3-0.
After almost failing to make the EU LCS Spring Playoffs in the first place, Fnatic now finds themselves against a G2 squad that lost to ROCCAT right at the end of the split. Misfits, meanwhile, moves on to face Unicorns of Love in the next round.
- MVP defeated the afreeca Freecs in the opening round of the LCK playoffs. MVP faces KT Rolster in the next round and the winner of that match faces up against Samsung Galaxy to decide who faces SK Telecom T1 in the finals. Games start again in a few hours on Twitch.
- Fnatic picked up a $7 million investment round that includes the ownership group over AS Roma (who Fnatic earlier partnered with for FIFA) and the Boston Celtics, co-owners of the Houston Astros, and Joi Ito of MIT's Media Lab.
Matt Best joins the show towards the end to break down exactly what happened in Phoenix1's crushing win and FlyQuest's surprising upset.