2016 was a big year for Nintendo in Japan, as it not only dominated on the software side of things, but also with hardware as well, with the 3DS continuing to be a big success.
The team at Famitsu has posted the end-of-year sales numbers for Japan, and, to no one’s surprise, Pokémon has easily dominated, taking the first place spot with over three million copies sold of Sun and Moon combined. Other games that made the top five include Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi/Tempura; Final Fantasy XV, Super Mario Maker 3DS; and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3. It’s worth noting that four of the top five games sold for the year all came from the 3DS library, with the only exception being a PS4 title.
Here’s the top ten, complete with their respective sales numbers (for the period of December 28, 2015 through December 25, 2016):
- Pokémon Sun / Moon (The Pokémon Company, 3DS) – 3,246,222
- Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi/Tempura (Level 5, 3DS) – 1,397,436
- Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix, PS4) – 860,127
- Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo, 3DS) – 743,388
- Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 (Square Enix, 3DS) – 623,083
- Yo-Kai Sangokushi (Level 5, 3DS) – 563,395
- Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki (Level 5, 3DS) – 509,667
- Kirby: Planet Robobot (Nintendo, 3DS) – 479,698
- Splatoon (Nintendo, Wii U) – 398,251
- Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Sony, Vita) – 397,607
Famitsu also posted the top five selling pieces of hardware for the year, and while the Xbox One struggled very badly in the market, the Nintendo 3DS did just fine, with over 1.8 million units sold across a variety of models. The top five is below:
- Nintendo 3DS (including 3DS LL, New 3DS, New 3DS LL, 2DS) - 1,874,457
- PS4 (including PS4 Pro) - 1,790,883
- PS Vita (including Vita TV), 865,002
- Wii U – 336,151
- Xbox One (including Xbox One S) - 8,897
It’ll be interesting to see how the 3DS’ lead holds in 2017, especially with the Switch being introduced to the market sometime in March. Guess we’ll find out soon enough!